If you need to perform the same analysis very often and/or on multiple input files, you should
learn more about custom tools and Control window. Both tools will enable you to perform such
operations much faster.
1. Let us take an example of a signal where you would to remove linear trend (Signal
tools/Remove linear trend menu option) from the signal, perform FFT on it with certain
parameters and find frequency of maximal amplitude (Instruments and markers/Maximum
position menu option) in the resulting spectrum.
2. As a first step you can load any signal and perform these operations manually on it. The
resulting Control Window chain should look like this:
Please be sure that you set all options on the FFT you would like to use (context
menu/Properties...), for example logarithmic Y-axis, smoothing,...
3. Now, go to first analysis window (Detrend) and choose File/Save Window as custom
tool/Window and its subtree menu option. In a file save dialog, choose some name for your tool
(for example MyTool.swt) and save it in a Tools directory. This tool will contain your analysis
chain with Trend removal, FFT and Max. instrument windows.
4. Next time you would like to apply this tool to some other signal, simply go to signal window and
choose Signal tools/Use custom tool/MyTool (or any other name you gave to it). The whole
analysis chain will be applied to your signal and you should have a picture similar to above
example in your Control Window.
5. So, this will speed up operations on signal signals. But if you need to perform the same
analysis on dozens of signals at the same time, there is a way to perform one tool on all windows
selected in the Control Window. Simply make your selection and while Control Window is active,
choose Signal tools/Use custom tool/MyTool menu option just as if you are working with a single
signal. Your tool will be applied to all selected windows.
6. One more hint: Applying above tool on 10 signals will produce 30 new windows and make your
workspace quite complicated. If you just need to see last instrument while FFT and detrend are
not interesting you can hide those before saving the tool. In the above Control Window chain,
select windows 2 and 3 and choose "Hide selected windows" from context menu. Both windows
will be hidden and Control Window will show "H"sign next to their icons. This property will be
saved in a tool file and applied each time you apply your tool. As a result you would get only a 10
new instrument windows and Control Window will look like this: